The global hand sanitizer market is anticipated to be worth USD 10.84 billion by 2030, advancing at 6.8% CAGR from 2022 to 2030. Hand sanitizers have become an essential product in recent years, especially post the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic; governments, as well as private organizations, have repeatedly stressed the importance of maintaining the hygiene of hands, as they come in contact with several foreign particles throughout the day. According to an article by the CDC, the use of alcohol-based sanitizers across classrooms in the United States led to a 20% reduction in absenteeism among 6000 students in 16 elementary schools. Several companies conducted drives advocating the importance of hand hygiene, which lead to increased demand for hand sanitizers.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been a significant enabler of market growth. As governments encouraged people to keep their hands sanitized at all times, the demand for these products shot up. A report by Adobe Analytics stated that the hand sanitizer demand jumped to 1400% between the period of December 2019 and January 2020, when the pandemic had just started to take a grip across the globe. Honeywell announced that it would be producing hand sanitizers at its Michigan (Muskegon) and German (Seelze) facilities in May and June 2020. Third-party manufacturers have proved to be a significant aspect in helping companies succeed in their output, and in the near future, it is expected that the production pace will remain steady, thus driving the growth of the market.
Almost every company involved in the hand sanitizer market has been compelled to increase production capacity, so as to meet customer demands in households, as well as in educational institutions, offices, and other commercial establishments. For example, Purell reported that the sales of hand sanitizers jumped by 568%, reaching USD 1.5 billion on a year-on-year basis through late February 2020, which made the company invest around USD 400 million into manufacturing units. Companies that are traditionally not associated with sales of these products also understood the demand-supply gap and reoriented their short-term planning to the development of hand sanitizers. For instance, Sparitual, a vegan beauty brand, pledged to start producing 75% alcohol-based hand sanitizers at its Los Angeles facility in March 2020.
To request a sample copy or view summary of this report, "please" click the link below:
Hand Sanitizer Market Report Highlights
• An increase in consumer awareness regarding hygiene and sanitation, particularly in developing economies, has created significant growth opportunities for hand sanitizer manufacturers. Events such as the National Handwashing Awareness week celebrated in the US each year are expected to make people better understand the benefits of washing hands and its next best alternative of using sanitizers
• Manufacturers are ramping up efforts to launch a larger range of products, through the use of innovative packaging design, and the introduction of more portable products such as sachets, and different fragrances. Accordingly, consumers now have a variety of options to choose from, which has helped in keeping the industry moving
• With regards to the type of product, in 2021, the gel-based segment accounted for the largest market revenue share of 47.2% and is further projected to remain the leading contributor during the projection period. This is because it is widely used on account of its ability to penetrate the skin easily for killing most bacteria, as it is watery and light in formulation
• Based on product type, the gel-based segment accounts for a significant market share, aided by wider product availability and production of this form of sanitizer on a larger scale; on the other hand, foam-based sanitizers are becoming more popular, as they can be easily be applied on hands and do not get easily rubbed off, while also being very effective in killing off germs
• In terms of distribution channel, the hypermarket & supermarket segment held a substantial market share in 2021, as consumer footfall is traditionally high in such stores. However, the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic and the closure of physical outlets led to a noticeable drop in revenue from this segment, which instead got a helping hand from online channels
• Europe has been a significant contributor to the hand sanitizer market, aided by the presence of numerous established companies in the region, coupled with higher consumer awareness regarding the importance of sanitization of hands
• The industry has seen an increase in competition that is borne out of attempts to manufacture innovative products that aim to be sustainable or technology-driven. For instance, the Apotheke Charcoal Hand Sanitizer is a plant oil-scented hand sanitizer that is made in the USA; on the other hand, the This Is Gel Hand Sanitizer by Evolved By Nature makes use of activated silk as an ingredient
• The pandemic has led to the creation of sustained demand for hand sanitizers, both from the residential as well as commercial sectors. As a result, companies have been forced to enhance their capacities to address this demand. For instance, Kutol has installed an additional filling line at its facility to better meet customers' demands and keep them ready for any such future requirements
Hand Sanitizer Market Report Segments
Hand Sanitizer Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
Hand Sanitizer Distribution Channel Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
• Hypermarket & Supermarket
Hand Sanitizer Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2030)
• North America
• Asia Pacific
• Central & South America
• Middle East & Africa
• South Africa
List of Key Players in the Hand Sanitizer Market
• Reckitt Benckiser Group plc
• Procter and Gamble
• The Himalaya Drug Company
• GOJO Industries, Inc.
• Henkel AG and Company
• Chattem, Inc.
• Best Sanitizers, Inc.